Sunday, May 10, 2009

Empty Nest Syndrome



I never thought I would be affected by the empty nest syndrome. It turns out that I am. This morning I opened the door to look in the nest where the finch chicks were to see if I could get a picture of them with their beaks up waiting for food. They were still asleep, all huddled together, warmly embracing each other. I took a picture anyway. I saw one beak visible.  Today being Mother's Day I made myself entirely at the disposal of Diane. For Mother's Day she said she wanted to go on a bike ride. We loaded the bikes and went to the Jordan River Parkway and did an out and back 18 miler. We stopped for lunch and then headed home. After putting the bikes away, I grabbed my camera and opened the door to look into the nest. I was stunned!  I had just seen the four chicks in there a few hours ago and now the nest was empty. I tried to tell myself that they flew off but I knew, and Diane confirmed in the bird book, that they were not ready to fly. Such are the trials of life. Now the big problem: What is Jamie going to tell her school kids, who had been following the pictures and the story?

5 comments:

  1. I thought they were in a pretty safe place. I feel bad for the momma bird. Those darn magpies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad. So sorry about your empty nest. Like Jamie's students, I was looking forward to more pictures also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That darn food chain can leave a trail of disappointment for our brief attachments. What a disappointment.

    I enjoyed the photos you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane mailed the nest to Jamie so she could show her students. Guess there are not many bird nests left in LA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I’ve not gone to an official licensed barber in over thirty some odd years. Nan has cut my hair ever since we hooked up together.

    She has a practice of shaking out my shorn locks near the back deck where we try to grow roses. Or used to try anyway; grow roses. Around here, we call roses, “deer treats.”

    For years, the birds of spring have used my tossed hair clippings in their nests. It is fun to find a nest around the property with Paddy hair laced all in it.

    ReplyDelete