Sunday, July 12, 2009

Back Home Again


On the Friday before the July 4th holiday, Diane and I drove to Craig, Colorado where I had an assignment to be on call for the weekend. I no sooner got there and got called to OB and then to the OR for an appendectomy. I got home about 11PM to find that Diane had saved me some chocolate cake, which I ravaged. The next day I was on beeper call and fortunately did not get called. Diane and I went for bike rides around Craig both in the morning and in the afternoon. The next day I went in for a leg fracture and after that I went off duty and we drove to Green River, WY. We stayed at my place there and the next morning(which happened to be Diane's birthday), I dropped her off at the airport and then I went to work. I worked the week until Friday and came home Friday evening. On Saturday we did our Costco business and then worked around the house for awhile. We watched Fiddler on the Roof that evening. Sunday was our hiking day. We decided to hike the White Pine trail. It starts at the same trailhead as the Red Pine trail and then splits after a mile. The trail was actually an old jeep road. It was long with lots of switchbacks. Diane was using her Camelback. After a little more than 2 hours hiking, we encountered a snowfield that we started to cross. It was on a pretty steep incline and I realized that it would be easy to slip and slide down into some boulders. That had broken femur written all over it. We backtracked and tried to climb down through the boulder field and cut across below the snowfield. We decided that this too was treacherous and unhappily decided to turn around and do the hike later in the summer when the snow would be gone. We made our way down stopping for food and water from time to time. We got back to the car 4 hours and 10 minutes after we started. We treated ourselves to lunch at the Porcupine Restaurant, eating outside in some delightful weather. I am working in Salt Lake this week but hope to do some more hiking and fishing in between

2 comments:

  1. Happy "fish on", pardner!

    Keep these stories coming. Fun to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call Doc! Nothing spoils a good hike like a broken femur.

    ReplyDelete