Friday, October 2, 2009

The Bighorn!


I drove to the airport in Billings, Montana and picked up MIke. He arrived on the same plane as my friends, Dick Hauch, George Dykos, Ron Hayashi, and Mike Leathers. We stopped by Cabelas and got our fishing licenses and then headed for Ft. Smith by way of Hardin Montana. We drove to our guest house at the Anglers Edge and met with Brad Downey, the owner. The next day our guides showed up and Mike and I went with Dave Colombo, a transplanted New Yorker. We put in at Three MIle and headed down the river. This was day one of our three days of fabulous fishing on the Bighorn for large Rainbows and Browns. After three days of what Mike called, "Fly Fishing Boot Camp" , we left for Yellowstone. Unfortunately, our plans to fish Slough Creek in the Park were thwarted by an early season snow storm that prevented us from hiking into the second meadow for more fishing. We will just have to go back another time for that one.

3 comments:

  1. From what I can see on the map, the Big Horn looks like a long stretch of water, terminating somewhere south of Thermopolis WY near Wedding of the Waters.

    Last time I saw brother Mick with a fly rod in his teeth was years ago at Cold Water Lake up at Mt. St. Helens. We were decked out in float tubes, rubber suits and flippers, trying to figure out how to trick a fish onto our lines.

    I still stalk a local stream from time to time, casting for fun. I’m too cheap to buy a license, so I just cut the business end of the fly off and top water cast for strikes.

    When I get a hit, every body is surprised. I call out, “fish off!” But I stalk for solitude on our little Deschutes River.

    Earlier today, I landed some Ahi tuna at Costco. I’ll be grilling this on my infrared burner for dinner.

    Tight lines, bro.

    Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great time. Did Mike allow his picture to be taken? If so, post it please. I need to see him - it's been waaaaaay tooooo long.....

    Love you,
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forget what he looks like myself!

    He must look like and older, balding gentleman by now?

    I recall that we turned out to the the tallest of the bunch, or is my memory faling me again?

    I may have a photo of him around here somewher of Mick holding a string of salmon he caught on one of our float trips on a wild river of the Olympic Peninsula.

    I haven't seen old Mick in several years.

    Paddy

    ReplyDelete