Monday, March 2, 2009

Stick in the Eye

Couldn't you just poke a stick in my eye, instead? Yes, we spent Saturday at a car dealership. Diane's ride is 12 years old and pushing 195k. It may have some miles left on it but who wants to breakdown in the middle of nowhere. A month ago we went through the drill and she narrowed her 3 choices (Forester, CR-V, and RAV4) down to two(CR-V, RAV4). On Friday she narrowed it down to one(CR-V). She took care of a bigwig from the large dealership group who said he would get her the best deal possible(Could it have been the residual effects of the anesthesia?). We set out to the Honda dealer and she said she wanted to just sit in the RAV-4 one more time. Well, she sat, she drove and now has changed her mind. That was OK because her buddy, Sal, covered this dealer as well. We decided on a model and the salesman found the car she wanted. We got a quote and then that is when we pulled out our Ace. "We know Sal!" I think his answer was , "Sal who?". He called his boss and found out that Sal left the companies 2 weeks ago. That was OK because our guy was going to give us the same deal that Sal could have given us. Right.  Now the fun begins. Diane wanted leather seats. The guy said no problem, we will add that at no charge(usually 2,000 bucks). We go round and round and I get up head for the door a couple of times to get the price down even lower. It was the end of the month and that is supposed to be a good to deal. I liked the price but the T, T, T boosted it up, of course. I gave him a figure, an out the door figure, and said that is what I am prepared to spend today to get this car out of your inventory. He talked to his boss and he ok'd it.  We had just bought a new car. Like I said, couldn't you just poke a stick in my eye, instead!

4 comments:

  1. I hear you pardner. I went through the same thing several months ago when I bought The Beast.

    For the last two vehicles I’ve purchased, I’ve downloaded the Consumer Reports price information for the exact vehicle I want to purchase, for $25. With this information in hand, I go to a dealer and tell them straight off that I’ve done all my research and pricing and there is nothing they have done to get me in their door.

    So, right away, we mark off the advertising expense they usually add to the mark up. I know what their costs are and it is nowhere near the MSRP. That’s there game; to get you attached somehow to their MSRP. Instead, I work off of my MSRP (My Suggested Retail Price).

    Instead of niggling, I make ‘em an offer based on an Excel spreadsheet analysis of their costs. Take it or leave it. Two times now, in a row, it has worked for me.

    When I purchased The Beast, I even worked in an employee discount. Why not; it was the end of the year sale so I took an extra $5K off for pretending to be an employee.

    Then, after we settled on the price for The Beast, I said “Oh yea, and what will you give me for my Subi Forester?”

    “You said you didn’t want to trade it in.”
    “Well, I’m open to negotiation.”
    $4,525 in my pocket for a ten year old car with over 100K miles.

    I like the art of doing bidness. The $25 covers my cost of the Consumer Reports data.

    Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Beast! I thought they paid you to get it off their inventory! I know what you mean about these guys. I know they are human but you have to pretend that they are alien. Anyway, I hope my purchase turns this economy around(ha).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I salute you for your contribution to restart the economy. We have both done our part.

    When I bought The Beast, the Dealer’s “take it off our hands” price was so far below what Consumer Reports suggested, that I thought I was stealing!

    It didn’t feel that bad. But boy howdy; we sure have put the purchase of a $50K fifth wheel on the back burner. My word! (An old Aussie expression of amazement, going back to WWII.)

    Nan’s got one of those old timey 4 cylinder Honda Accords. She refuses to give it up. Thank goodness!

    Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you guys don't have a Ford.

    FORD = Found on Road Dead
    FORD = Fix or Repair Daily

    Can you tell I'm angry with my Ford? Just paid it off too. Naturally.

    ReplyDelete